The Lyric Ensemble is a project that puts actors aged 18-25 on to our professional stages.
Applications open 3 times a year to join the Lyric Ensemble as part of our:
1) annual pantomime (already recruited for 2019/20)
2) studio programme (audition registration currently open)
3) main house productions (audition registration for Sophocles’ Antigone: The Burial at Thebes will open in early 2020)
These young people gain skills through bootcamps and training sessions, and will have the opportunity to be part of a professional show.
Previous Lyric Ensemble programmes have been delivered by leading directors Holly Race Roughan and Annie-Louise Sarks through which we produced new productions The Mob Reformers written by Omar El-Khairy and Abandon scripted by Laura Lomas.
The Lyric Ensemble is generously supported by the Andrew Lloyd Webber Foundation, the McGrath Charitable Trust, The Idlewild Trust, The D’Oyly Carte Charitable Trust, and the Noël Coward Foundation.
Auditions are now open for the Lyric Ensemble (Main House)
What is it?
We are looking for young and exciting performers (aged 18-25) who are keen to train on the job as part of the Lyric Ensemble for our upcoming production of Sophocles’ Antigone: The Burial at Thebes – translated by Seamus Heaney and directed by Roy Alexander Weise. We are particularly interested in hearing from individuals who live or work in the boroughs of West London.
Who we are looking for
The Lyric Ensemble make up an integral part of the production. You will feature throughout the production – performing as the Chorus. No previous experience is necessary but you must have a strong passion for theatre and performance. We actively encourage people from a variety of backgrounds with different experiences, skills and stories to apply.
NB: this is a training opportunity and not a professional engagement. Therefore we cannot accept applications from those undertaking formal training and/or who are already represented by an agent.
As part of this opportunity you will:
• Be paid the National Minimum Wage per hour worked.
• Develop singing, movement and acting skills whilst working with an established creative team and a company of professional actors.
• Perform in over 30 performances.
• Receive pastoral care and support from our Creative Youth Worker, Producer [Emerging Talent], and Producer.
• Receive professional advice and assistance on approaching casting directors/agents and venues as a performer, as part of one-on-one mentoring sessions.
• Have a meeting with an Equity representative about how to join Equity.
ENSEMBLE REHEARSAL SCHEDULE:
• Bootcamp performance training week: Monday 9 March 2020 – Saturday 14 March 2020
• Rehearsals: Monday 16 March 2020 – Friday 17 April 2020
• Performance dates: Saturday 18 April 2020 – Saturday 16 May 2020 [full performance schedule found here]
You must be able to attend all the dates and there can be no days which you are unable to do.
Want to audition?
First Round: Friday 24 January [11:00pm-7:00pm]
Recalls: Saturday 1 February [10am-5pm]
When filling out the application form please indicate which audition slot you would prefer. Auditions are 45 minute group slots and are allocated on a first come first served basis. If all slots are allocated before the deadline date a waiting list will be created.
You will need to prepare:
• A speech/section from Antigone (which will be sent to you when confirming your audition slot)
• A 1 min piece that showcases who you are, this can be: a Rap, a Poem, a Monologue, Spoken Word, a Song etc.
• An acapella song (without music) from any genre.
If you would like to submit a video application please send to email@example.com.
Deadline for all applications is Wednesday 22nd January, 5pm. If you have any questions, contact Fiona via the firstname.lastname@example.org email address.